Friday, June 5, 2020

"While I was fearing..."


in considering the time that remains to us humans 
to be on this planet (even elon musk will die here)
it occurred to me that as a species we humans can create
things which in no way enhance our ability to survive.
I have been reading and listening  a lot about quantum
mechanics...but I still pretty much wallow in the mundane
world of mechanical physics...the possibilities of possibility
are difficult to realize....but the Planck scale somehow seems
comforting, knowing that when you get right down to it, we
make our own relevancies. what is important?...and how important
is it
so in considering this eternal question I think perhaps once the
rudiments of life are obtained music and the "arts" have relevance.
I read about cave paintings and listen to music of the aboriginals across
the globe and realize that something about engaging in these behaviors
of art and music has had a profound effect on human existence..something
which goes beyond "getting and begetting". 

i recently mentioned a songwriter who describes himself
as a "song and dance man"...Bob Dylan.. and I said his lyrics
are gibberish...some but not all are unintelligible to me. 
"Don't Think Twice" is very intelligible to me and actually
is important and relevant to me. 
Also he wrote a song,  the style and genre of which are what
came to recognized as his forte. The PROTEST song.
The song "Oxford Town" which I heard on an "Oxford
Review" CD from some years ago is appropriate to current
events. I have never heard him sing it anywhere else.

I would also like to recommend a particular tune by a particular
trumpet player whom I had the privilege to hear play at the New
Orleans Jazz museum. All of the concerts are supposed to be recorded
on a video system which is permanently installed in the concert hall
but I do not find the concert for Thursday, August 23, 2018 which
I believe was the day that I heard Mark Braud play "Palm Sunday" from
his "Living the Tradition" album. Mr. Braud is indeed living the tradition
as he is a third generation jazz musician and his family were formative
in the history of jazz music. He said he would like someday for some
of his music to be considered to be iconic as his relatives music is. After
hearing him play "Palm Sunday" I was compelled to relate to him that
I felt that I had just heard a tune which was "iconic" and I felt like I had
witnessed history being made....I could not find this tune played by Mr.
Braud  on the Jazz museum site or YouTube but perhaps it may appear soon.

so despite social unrest and the plague which unfortunately have always
been with us music and art and natural beauty are also...


"While I was fearing it, it came
But came with less of fear
Because that fearing it so long
Had almost made it dear." Emily Dickinson

No comments:

Post a Comment