Friday, May 24, 2019

"If this life be not a real fight..."



                                          baby gator
                                          young cottonmouth snake
                                          ruby-throated hummingbird



was driving down the road
in the Atchafalaya basin last week and spotted this
2 foot gator in the road
then 50 yards further down the road
there was this young cottonmouth snake
I try to pay attention so as not to drive over these
animals in the road because I always see a few
dead ones that have been crushed
 the hummingbird apparently is more acrobatic
than I would have thought
I was sitting by the feeder when this one came for
the nectar and I did not know what I had for a picture
 until I looked at the image on the camera
always a surprise with these fast birds

as some people may know I spent some time around camels
the one humped kind
I had an experience which somewhat changed my view of life

I was leaning up against the loading platform of the camel ride
my head hurt because I had too much to drink the night before
as usual
and I heard someone behind me laughing
so I turned around and a young girl was walking up the steps
saying she wanted to feel the camels hump
sure I said and I had Omar the camel lean up against
the platform so she could feel the hump
then I noticed that where her eyes should have been
there were two empty sockets
I was flabbergasted
here I was in pretty good physical shape and moaning
about my problems
while she was laughing and without sight
I have thought about all of the tactile experiences
I had by being able to pet the zoo animals
over a 15 year zoo experience and thought how wonderful
it would be for the visually impaired to experience
touching a rhino or a bison or even a peacock not to mention
all the other animals
animals die in the zoos every day
it just happens
if someone could pay to have all of these animals
professionally mounted so that there could be a zoo
for the visually impaired it might change a persons
life like that little girls laughter changed mine
just a thought

anyhow now that I am 33 years without using
alcohol I can see how fortunate my life has been
to have had such good animal friends
and even the dead ones could be put to further use

"If this life be not a real fight, in which something is eternally
gained for the universe by success, it is no better than a game
of private theatricals from which one may withdraw at will."
                                                           William James


Vladimir Ussachevsky







No comments:

Post a Comment